RMH-Windsor: What You Need to Know
Ronald McDonald House Windsor provides a welcoming and secure home-away-from-home for families with seriously ill or injured children in need of medical care at Windsor Regional Hospital. A family can stay in one of our 5 private rooms, or 2 short term stay rooms, located on the third floor of Windsor Regional Hospital, Metropolitan Campus, for as long as their child requires medical care. Families are asked to pay just $10.00 a night - no family is ever turned away due to an inability to pay.
Families who stay with us:
- Are parents/guardians of a child (under 18) receiving treatment in Windsor Regional Hospital for a serious illness or injury.
- Complete a referral form in partnership with hospital staff for each visit.
- Regrettably, due to high demand, we may not be able to accommodate requests from families receiving non-life threatening procedures, day surgeries or follow up visits.
- A sibling or another family member may accompany the parents of the ill child pending room availability. (Room capacity varies from 1 - 2 per room depending on room available).
- We offer one bedroom per family.
- Anyone suffering from or who has recently been exposed to a communicable illness cannot be admitted (including family members with a cold or the flu). We stand by this policy to minimize the risk to children with weakened immune systems.
- A room at Ronald McDonald House Windsor is never a guarantee. Many of our families face longer stays here than they had hoped and we allow all families to take things one day at a time. On any given day, we are not always certain which families may be checking out, and often check outs are postponed late in the day.
- Extreme weather will be considered if it is unsafe to travel and families are delayed in checking out, however weather cannot be the reason for a family referral. Referrals are based on a child’s serious medical situation.
What are the Office Hours?
Family Services Office Hours:
Staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
(Exceptional circumstances may be discussed)
What Can Families Expect?
A Welcoming Arrival
When your family arrives at Ronald McDonald House Windsor you will be welcomed by volunteers and checked into your private room by one of our friendly Family Service Coordinators. If it is your first time staying with us you will be given a full tour of the House and have the opportunity to ask any questions.
The Comforts of Home
Our House-within-a-Hospital helps to provide relief to families going through very difficult times by providing all the comforts of home while taking care of the "little things", so that parents can spend more time caring for the most important thing… their sick child. You can see everything Ronald McDonald House Windsor provides to families by viewing our House Amenities.
Family and Friends
We know how important family and friend support is during a stressful time. All guest families can have visitors while keeping the comfort and safety of all guests and their children in mind. Visiting hours are between 9 a.m. and 8:30 pm, and visitors will need to sign in at reception and verify that they have not been exposed to any infectious diseases. They will be required to remain in the common areas.
One of our top priorities is to ensure the comfort and safety of all guests staying in the House.
You will receive our Policies and Procedures and House Rules upon arrival.