Keeping Brotherly-Love Together

Keeping Brotherly-Love Together Best Friends & Brothers

Mini Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes - I remember these so vividly. I remember finding them in the Ronald McDonald House kitchen one evening. I picked one up and examined it like it was some time of foreign relic.

I took one bite and was instantly amazed. Before I finished chewing that first bite I took another one and dashed away quickly to show my wife. Ever since having one of the Mini Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes at RMH I make them at home and tell everyone I have over to try one (and only one ­– the rest for me) which is a good conversation starter to talk about our stay at the RMH.

My wife had been told by doctors that she had to stay in the hospital to be monitored for approximately a month before our sons were born. This was because one of our sons (Rhys) had appeared to be growing at a slower rate than our other son (Logan). So, after weeks of living at the hospital and rounds and rounds of tests, exams, and ultrasounds our twin boys were born on August 9th, 2014 at 12:09 am and 12:11 am after approximately 20 hours or so of labour. The doctors had informed us that due to Rhys’ smaller size he would have to remain in the NICU but Logan was cleared to stay with us. We had stayed in the hospital for approximately three or four days after the boys’ birth but eventually, my wife was discharged.

Knowing that we were not going to have a place to stay at the hospital we reached out to the RMH. There was no way we were going to leave Rhys in the NICU by himself without being able to check on see him every thirty seconds or to feed him every three hours. We needed some place close and luckily the RMH opened their doors to us for as long as we needed. We were now right next store, a quick walk across the parking lot. We were so happy!

My wife and I, and Logan of course, were so amazed when we arrived at RMH – not only the place itself but the people, the kitchen, dining areas, play areas, and the room! Everything was more than we could have hoped for.

After about a week of Rhys eating lots and gaining a little weight, he was cleared to go. Even though our time was brief at the RMH it meant we could have that many more visits with our son. We didn’t have to worry about food or driving or anything else. We just wanted to be there for both our sons and RMH allowed us to do that and they allow so many more families to do that. We saw that every day, every meal, and every minute.  I will never forget what the RMH did for my family and what they do for other families just like ours.


Our House Insider Newsletter

Sign up for our e-newsletter to read inspiring stories from our families, keep up to date with Ronald McDonald House Southwestern Ontario news and stay in touch with your fellow RMH friends and supporters.

Sign Up