RMH-London: What You Need to Know
Ronald McDonald House London provides a welcoming and secure home-away-from-home for families living outside of London who have seriously ill children in need of medical care at a London hospital. A family can stay in one of the 40 private rooms, located only steps from Children's Hospital, LHSC, for as long as their child requires medical care. Families are asked to pay just $12.00 a night - no family is ever turned away due to an inability to pay.
We continue to restrict access to the House and are practicing COVID-19 safety protocols including screening, physical distancing, enhanced cleaning protocols, and mandatory mask-wearing in all common spaces. These measures in addition to an abundance of sanitizer and kindness will help us ensure the safety of everyone at the House. All current COVID-19 safety protocols and House rules will be reviewed upon arrival. Working together, we can continue to provide the safest possible environment for our families volunteers, and staff.
We are continuing to provide accommodation and support for families in need, and we thank our wonderful community for helping us continue to serve families.
Families who stay with us:
- Live a minimum distance of 40 km away from the House. (Standards based on address to address Google Mapping).
- Are parents/guardians of a child (under 19) receiving treatment in London for a serious illness or injury.
- Complete a referral form in partnership with hospital staff for each visit.
- Regrettably, due to high demand, we are unable to accommodate families arriving the day before an outpatient follow-up appointment or a day surgery appointment, with the exception of families traveling from distances normally requiring a flight.
- Siblings and other family members may accompany the parents of the ill child pending room availability. (Room capacity varies from 2 – 5 per room depending on room available).
- We offer one bedroom per family.
- Anyone suffering from or who has recently been exposed to a communicable illness cannot be admitted (including family members with a cold or the flu). We stand by this policy to minimize the risk to children with weakened immune systems.
- A room at Ronald McDonald House London is never a guarantee. Many of our families face longer stays here than they had hoped and we allow all families to take things one day at a time. On any given day, we are not always certain which families may be checking out, and often check-outs are postponed late in the day.
- Extreme weather will be considered if it is unsafe to travel and families are delayed in checking out, however weather cannot be the reason for a family referral. Referrals are based on a child’s serious medical situation.
What are the Office Hours?
Family Services Office Hours:
Staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Before 4:00 p.m., and after 7:00 p.m.; check-in times are confirmed prior to arrival
(Exceptional circumstances may be discussed)
What Can Families Expect?
A Welcoming Arrival
When your family arrives at Ronald McDonald House London you will be welcomed by volunteers and checked into your private room by one of our friendly Family Service Coordinators. If it is your first time staying with us you will be given a full tour of the House and have the opportunity to ask any questions.
The Comforts of Home
Our House helps to provide relief to families going through very difficult times by providing all the comforts of home while taking care of the "little things", so that caregivers can spend more time caring for the most important thing… their sick child. You can see everything the House provides to families by viewing our House Amenities.
One of our top priorities is to ensure the comfort and safety of all guests staying in the House.
You will receive our Policies and Procedures and House Rules upon arrival.